The quest for a free version of PowerPoint has been a frustrating one. Despite my repeated attempts to find a legitimate free version, I was only met with pirated versions or malware-infected downloads that posed a risk to my computer’s security. While I did try Microsoft’s limited online version of PowerPoint, it was missing many of the powerful features, animations, transitions, and formatting options.
A better option is to download PowerPoint and take advantage of the free 30-day trial to get unlimited access to all the premium features.
Follow the steps below, and I’ll show you how to register your account, start the free trial, and download and install PowerPoint on your PC for free.
How to Download and Install PowerPoint on Your PC for Free
The PowerPoint desktop app is only available as part of the Microsoft 365 bundle. By following this guide, you will get PowerPoint free for one month, plus free versions of Word, Excel, Outlook, and more.
- Go directly to the official Microsoft 365 free trial page.
- Click the Try 1 Month Free button.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account. If you don’t have an account, click the Sign Up link to register your free account.
- Agree to the terms and confirm that you want to activate the free trial, and then press the Next button.
- While this is 100% free, you will need to select a payment method to activate the free trial. You will not be charged until the free month trial period is over. The accepted payment methods are credit or debit card, PayPal, and mobile phone (where available).
- Enter your payment information and click the Save button.
- Press the Start Trial, Pay Later button.
- Microsoft will confirm that your payment method is valid. When this quick check is complete, press the Continue button.
- Press the Download the Desktop Apps button, and you will be redirected to your user dashboard.
- Press the Install Office button to begin the download process.
- Select your preferred language for the PowerPoint interface, and which version you wish to install. If you don’t have a preference, it’s recommended that you leave the default option, so you get the latest version.
- When the File Explorer window opens, choose your destination folder and press the Save button.
- When the download is complete, open the file, and Microsoft will automatically install the entire collection of Microsoft 365 apps to your computer.
Since its initial release in 1987, PowerPoint has become the go-to software for personal and business-related presentations. The intuitive drag-and-drop interface allows users to create a presentation that fits their needs instead of trying to work within a predetermined framework.
With the latest release of PowerPoint, Microsoft continues to add and upgrade its features. When you subscribe to a subscription plan, you also get 1 TB of OneDrive cloud server. It makes it easier to share your slideshows and presentations with others.
It also gives you the option for multiple users to edit the same presentations, making it easy for teams to collaborate on a project. Just adjust the permission levels for each file to allow others to view, edit or comment on the presentation. PowerPoint also has a feature called co-authoring, which allows multiple users to work on the same presentation simultaneously.
PowerPoint is one of the most versatile programs included in the Microsoft 365 suite. It can be used by anyone from kids making a picture slideshow for their friends to students creating slideshows for class and salesmen for highlighting the benefits of their product. Whatever the reason, there is an appropriate template design, color scheme, and animation or transition that brings the presentation together.
Large Selection of Templates for Easy Design Customization
You can choose from a variety of pre-designed themes and templates to quickly and easily create the right look and feel of a presentation. Themes include a combination of colors, fonts, and effects that are applied to all the slides in a presentation.
This can save time and ensure a consistent design throughout the presentation. Users can also customize the themes to their liking by editing the colors, fonts, and effects separately.
Engage Your Audience with Integrated Text and Media Elements
Customize the look of the text with comprehensive typography options. This includes hundreds of fonts, multiple styling options, and a full range of colors. Once you add a text box to the slide, it can be resized, moved, and rotated, giving it the look and style you desire.
Adding images, videos, and other media to a slide makes it a versatile tool for creating engaging presentations. You can upload media files from your local device, OneDrive account, or online sources. The application also allows users to edit images and videos directly on the slide.
Add Personal Style with Dynamic Animations and Transitions
There is a large selection of animations and transitions that you can use to bring slides to life and make them more interactive. Animations can be used to draw attention to specific elements on a slide, such as images or text. You don’t need any experience in animation to use this feature. It’s as easy as clicking on the element you want to animate and choosing the animation style. If you’re going to animate multiple elements in a slide, you can set the order of the animations so not everything is triggered at once.
Transitions can be used to smoothly move between slides, adding a professional touch to the presentation. You can customize the time it takes to complete each transition, set one transition style for the entire presentation, or choose a different style for each slide.
Simplify Complex Information with SmartArt
SmartArt is a feature that allows users to create diagrams and other visual elements in a simple and intuitive way. This can help to make complex information more easily understandable. SmartArt diagrams can be used to show relationships, processes, hierarchies, and more.
You can choose from a wide range of pre-designed SmartArt diagrams or create your own using the SmartArt graphic option.
Excellent Presentation Tools
If you’re using PowerPoint as a visual aide during a lecture, speech, or presentation, it comes with some excellent features and suggestions:
- Notes: Add notes that only you see to ensure you don’t forget what you planned on saying.
- Set the slides on a timer: You can automate the slides, so they change at specific time intervals.
- Remote control access: Using your smartphone, you can change slides without having to walk over to your computer and click the mouse.
- Compatible with all Microsoft 365 tools: Integrate Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, diagrams, and flowcharts from Visio without having to convert any files or download any special plugins.
Share your Presentation Anywhere and on Any Device
PowerPoint has different format options for exporting a presentation including PDF, video, and HTML. This makes it easy to share presentations with others and ensure that they can be viewed on any device. Another option is to export the presentations as a collection of images, such as JPEG or PNG. This allows users to share their presentations in a format that can be easily shared on social media or via email.
Is PowerPoint Web good?
Microsoft has a free limited version of PowerPoint through its website. However, the free version isn’t as good as the premium option for several reasons:
- Missing some themes and templates: While you can still use themes and templates to create a beautiful presentation, your options are limited compared to the desktop versions.
- Fewer animations and transitions: You will have to get back with basic animation and transition options.
- Limited file compatibility: PowerPoint Online may not be able to open or save certain types of files, such as older versions of PowerPoint or some third-party file formats.
- Internet connection required: You must be online to edit or view your presentations.
PowerPoint is compatible with Windows (7 and higher), Mac (Sierra 10.12 and higher), Android, and iOS. While it can run on older operating systems, there is the possibility that it will cause the computer to crash. There is no version of PowerPoint that is compatible with Linux.
The PowerPoint mobile app is a standalone app that’s included in your subscription plan. The touch-friendly app is user friendly and easy to manage on smaller screens. It gives you the flexibility to take your presentations with you, and it is easy to integrate the phone’s camera and microphone when creating a presentation. Most of the standard features are available through the mobile app, but there are some templates, themes, and animations that you’ll only see on the desktop app.
Minimum System Requirements
You must make sure that your operating system meets the minimum system requirements for running PowerPoint. If you don’t have the right specs, it could cause the program or your computer to crash.
|Windows 7, 8.1, 10, and 11.
Windows Server 2016 and 2019
|2-core 1.6 GhZ or faster
|64-Bit system: 4 GB | 32-Bit system: 2 GB
|Hard Disk Space
|1280 x 768 screen resolution
|DirectX 9 or later
|MacOS 10.12 Sierra and later
|4 GB of RAM
|Hard Disk Space
|1280 x 800 screen resolution
|No graphic card required
|Android 7.0 and higher
|iOS 13 and higher
For the best performance, it’s recommended to use the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari.
How to Uninstall PowerPoint from Windows
If PowerPoint isn’t the right program for you or if you’ve finished making the slideshows you need, you can easily uninstall the software from your computer in a few easy steps.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in the windows search bar.
- Scroll down to Microsoft 365 and click uninstall.
- Confirm that you want to remove Microsoft 365 (with PowerPoint in it), and the uninstallation wizard will safely remove it from your computer.
While this will remove PowerPoint and Microsoft 365 from your computer, it won’t cancel your account. If you have presentations saved to your OneDrive cloud storage, you can still access them.
Additional Microsoft 365 Apps
Microsoft 365 comes with a large collection of important apps for computers and mobile devices. Here are just a few that you’ll get at no extra cost:
- Word: The ultimate word-processing tool has upped it games with the latest Microsoft 365 release. Improve your text-based documents with improved editing tools, great formatting options, and a huge selection of fonts.
- Excel: It’s the most popular spreadsheet apps in the world and a must-have for anyone looking to organize their data. From simple spreadsheets that can calculate sales numbers or list items in alphabetical order to advanced mathematical formulas, pivot tables, and compatibility with SQL software, Excel can help save you time and money when used correctly.
Is PowerPoint free?
While there’s no longer a free desktop app for PowerPoint, if you follow the instructions above, I’ll show you how to download it, and the entire Microsoft 365 bundle free for 30 days.
Is PowerPoint safe to download?
Yes, PowerPoint is 100% safe and free of viruses and malware. That being said, there are plenty of websites claiming they have free downloads of PowerPoint. You should avoid these sites, as they usually contain fake versions of PowerPoint with malicious files injected in the installer. To guarantee that you have a safe version of PowerPoint, download the official version of PowerPoint, and you’ll also receive a free trial for one month.
How do I cancel my PowerPoint subscription?
You can cancel your PowerPoint subscription by logging on to your account and turning off the recurring payments. Your account will stay active until the current billing cycle is complete.Visit PowerPoint Website